Skip Navigation


Register Your Business

Who is required to register when forming a North Carolina business entity?

Business Corporations, Nonprofit Corporations, Limited Liability Companies (LLC), Limited Partnerships (LP), Limited Liability Partnerships(LLP or RLLP), and Limited Liability Limited Partnerships (LLLP) are required to register with the NC Secretary of State’s Office prior to conducting business in North Carolina.

If the company you want to organize is a sole proprietorship or general partnership, you may have to file an assumed name certificate with the Register of Deeds Office in the county where your principal office is located. Please see for more information on assumed names and for the forms for filing with the Register of Deeds Office.

Articles of Incorporation/Organization and Registration of a Partnership are the legal documents which must be filed in order to register a business entity with the Secretary of State in North Carolina.

There are two steps to getting the document filed:

Preparing the document and attachments

Get Started

Submitting the document and attachments for filing

Get Started
How can we make this page better for you?

Request Support

Request support or submit a suggestion, we will get back to you via email or phone.

Get Started
Back to top