Continuing Legal Education
The North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State (SOS) has been accredited by the North Carolina State Bar as an approved CLE sponsor.
We only report whole hours to the State Bar. For attorneys or paralegals who were only able to attend part of one of our CLEs, it is their responsibility to amend their State Bar report to show partial credit, if appropriate. We will email certificates to paralegals.
We offer free CLEs in January and February of each year on:
- Notary & eNotary
- Notary Enforcement
- Electronic Commerce
- Electronic Mortgage Closing
We will also bring these CLE classes to events such as association meetings and conferences.
We have also offered other CLEs in the past. Examples of other CLEs we have offered include:
- Everything Attorneys Need to Know About SOS
- Crowdfunding and NC Securities Law
If our resources permit, we will offer CLE on any topic directly related to the work we do for the citizens and businesses of North Carolina. We will also bring these CLE classes to events such as association meetings and conferences.
Secretary Marshall, our attorneys and division directors have also been speakers at CLEs on topics including
- Secretary of State Update
- Trademarks and Trademark Enforcement
- Securities Laws
- Lobbying Law
- Business Registration Using SOS Services
- Advance Health Care Directives
We have also partnered with law schools, the NC Bar Association (NCBA) and other legal organizations to organize and speak at CLEs. For example, we have partnered on CLEs with Campbell and Elon Law Schools, and with the Wake and Durham County Bar Associations.
When we have partnered with the NC Bar Association, they have included some of the CLEs in their “On Demand” CLE catalog. Here are some of the NCBA CLEs we participated in that are available on demand from the NCBA website:
- Securities Regulation for Small Businesses | 2016
- eCommerce and Public Agency Transactions: Don't Get Left Behind | 2016
- What Every Lawyer Should Know About the NC Secretary of State's Office | 2017
- Secretary of State Operations and Consumer Protection for Military Personnel and Veterans | 2016
NOTE: We also have provided speakers for continuing education programs for other professionals.
About SOS and CLE or CLE speakers, contact:
Ann B. Wall, General Counsel
About Crowdfunding or Securities Related CLEs, contact:
John Maron, Director, Investor Protection & Education Services Program
About eCommerce, eNotary, Notary, Notary Enforcement, Electronic Mortgage Closing, and Related CLEs, contact:
Ozie Stallworth, Director, Electronic Notarization and Notary Enforcement