Skip Navigation


Professional Do I Need To File

You will need to file under Chapter 55B to create a Professional Corporation or Limited Liability Company if you answer Yes to the following two questions:

  • Do you want to create a business corporation or limited liability company?
  • Are you licensed by one of the following licensing boards?
    • Chapter 83A, "Architects";
    • Chapter 84, "Attorneys-at-Law";
    • Chapter 93, "Public Accountants"; and the following Articles in
    • Chapter 90:
      • Article 1, "Practice of Medicine,”
      • Article 2, "Dentistry,"
      • Article 6, "Optometry,"
      • Article 7, "Osteopathy,"
      • Article 8, "Chiropractic,"
      • Article 9A, "Nursing Practice Act," with regard to registered nurses,
      • Article 11, "Veterinarians,"
      • Article 12A, "Podiatrists,"
      • Article 18A, "Practicing Psychologists,"
      • Article 18C, "Marriage and Family Therapy Licensure,"
      • Article 18D, "Occupational Therapy,"
      • Article 22, "Licensure Act for Speech and Language Pathologists and Audiologists," and
      • Article 24, “Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselors”;
    • Chapter 89C, "Engineering and Land Surveying";
    • Chapter 89A, "Landscape Architects";
    • Chapter 90B, "Social Worker Certification and Licensure Act" with regard to Licensed Clinical Social Workers as defined by G.S. 90B-3;
    • Chapter 89E, "Geologists";
    • Chapter 89B, "Foresters"; and
    • Chapter 89F, "North Carolina Soil Scientist Licensing Act".

If you answered Yes to the above two questions, you will need to follow the specific procedures of the specific licensing board to create a business entity.

How can we make this page better for you?

Request Support

Request support or submit a suggestion, we will get back to you via email or phone.

Get Started
Back to top