Who is the current Secretary of State?
In 1996, Secretary of State Elaine F. Marshall became the first woman ever elected to a statewide, executive branch office in North Carolina.
What kind of services does the North Carolina Department of the Secretary
The Department of the Secretary of State works with the private and public sectors to help strengthen North Carolina’s economy. There are many divisions within the Department.
- The Authentication Section authenticates documents, such as adoption papers and other documents to be used overseas. @*
- The Certification and Filing Division provides services such as trademarks , lobbyist registration, notary public and the recording of financial loans and liens . *@
- The Business Registration Division handles the creation of new companies and maintains corporate documents.
- The Office of International Services serves as a point of contact for International visitors and other governmental agencies on non-commercial matters.
- The Publications Division publishes the N.C. Manual, the Directory of State and County Officials of N.C. and other materials, and acts as the custodian for the original 1868 N.C. Constitution and the Book of Oaths. This division is also responsible for the filing of non-commercial international agreements.
- The Securities Division regulates investment advising, the selling of stocks and bonds and loan broker registration.
- The Solicitation Licensing Section oversees charitable solicitation and fundraising contributions.
How do I contact the Department of the Secretary of State and the Office
N.C. Department of the Secretary of State
P.O. Box 29622
Raleigh, NC 27626-0622