Skip Navigation


North Carolina Social Work Certification and Licensure Board

The North Carolina Social Work Certification and Licensure Board (NCSWCLB) protects the public by setting standards for qualifications, training, and experience for those who seek to represent themselves to the public as a certified/licensed social worker and by promoting high standards of professional performance for those engaged in the practice of social work.


Elizabeth N. Pope
MSW, LCSW, Executive Director [email protected]
P: 336-625-1679
F: 336-625-4246

Procedures, Laws and Guidelines


Bookmark the link to the NCSWCLB for your future reference.

North Carolina licensed clinical social workers who want to form a professional Corporation or professional Limited Liability Company must apply to the North Carolina Social Work Certification and Licensure Board for a Certificate of Registration (COR), pursuant to Chapter 55B of the North Carolina General Statutes.

Procedure to Create a Professional Business Entity

Step 1 Articles of Incorporation/Organization

  • Download and complete the appropriate business entity creation document from the Forms link on the Business Registration Division website.

Step 2 Application to NCSWCL Board

  • Download and complete the appropriate application at including:
    1. Corporate name which must include a corporate ending as required by GS §55D-20 or 55B-5. For limited liability companies, the complete name must be provided and must include the word “Professional” or the abbreviation “P.L.L.C.” or “PLLC“ as required by GS §57D-2-02(v).
    2. Specific services to be rendered by the corporation or LLC.
    3. Mailing address of corporation or LLC, including telephone number and e-mail address if appropriate.
    4. Physical address(es) where business will be conducted. Include telephone number and e-mail address.
    5. For Professional Corporations, provide the name, address and license number of each incorporator, the Board of Directors, and the corporate officers. Include percent of shares owned by stockholders.
    6. For Limited Liability Companies, provide the name, address and license number of each Owner, Director and Member.
    7. Provide the name, address, professional affiliation, duties and license number (if applicable) of individuals not otherwise identified, who are employed, or to be employed, in a professional capacity by the corporation/organization.

Signatures: Each incorporator/organizer must sign before submitting the application to the N.C. Social Work Certification and Licensure Board.

Step 3: Receipt of Certificate of Registration - Submission to the Secretary of State

  1. Submit application with the required fee of fifty ($50.00) along with a COPY of the Articles of Incorporation/Organization to:

    PO Box 1043
    Asheboro, NC 27204

  2. Please allow ten to fourteen (10-14) business days for processing.
  3. An original Certificate of Registration will be returned along with a Verification of Licensure to the applicant to be used for filing with the Secretary of State’s office along with the Articles of Incorporation/Organization.

Step 4: Renewal of Certificate of Registration

In accordance with NCGS §55B and 57C, A Certificate of Registration must be renewed annually with the Board. [COR issued between 1/1 and 6/30 will expire on 1/1 of the same year. COR issued between 7/1/ and 12/31 will expire on 1/1 of the following year.]

  1. Renewal requires submission of a new application reflecting current information. Renewal applications should be submitted with a cover letter advising the Board of any change (or none) that has been made and the applicable renewal fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00). If changes have been made to the owners/shareholders/members or to the Articles of Incorporation/Organization, an updated copy must be attached.
  2. It is the responsibility of the corporation or limited liability company to notify the Board of any address, phone, fax or e-mail changes throughout the year.

Step 5: Changing your Corporate Name or other Changes

The Board and Secretary of State’s Business Registration Division both must be notified of any changes to the Corporate name, shareholders, Articles of Incorporation/Organization, or other status.

Step 6: Dissolving your Professional Corporation or Limited Liability Company

Written notice shall be provided to the Board within 30 days of dissolving the Professional entity along with a copy of the Articles of Dissolution.

North Carolina Statutes - Secretary of State

North Carolina Statutes - Licensed Clinical Social Workers

North Carolina Administrative Code

Secretary of State

  • 18 NCAC 04 .0318 - Authorization of Foreign Professional Corporations
  • 18 NCAC 04 .0502 - Words Prohibited in Addition to Statutory Prohibitions
  • 18 NCAC 04 .0503 - Deceptively Similar and Distinguishable Names
  • 18 NCAC 04 .0504 - Filing Fictitious or Assumed Name for Foreign Entity

Social Work Certification

How can we make this page better for you?

Request Support

Request support or submit a suggestion, we will get back to you via email or phone.

Get Started
Back to top