As a general rule, securities firms and stockbrokers, as
well as investment advisers and their representatives, must be registered with the
Securities Division in order to do business in North Carolina lawfully. This registration
is recorded on the Central Registration Depository (CRD) and the Investment Adviser
Registration Depository (IARD) registration systems operated by FINRA, Inc.
Investors who wish to check the registration status and
background of stockbrokers, investment advisers, and persons selling investments
in securities are encouraged to contact the Securities Division of the North Carolina
Department of the Secretary of State (1-800-688-4507) and ask to speak with a staff
employee responsible for “broker-dealer registration” or “investment adviser registration”.
Please be ready to provide the following information when calling the Securities Division:
For information about a company
- Full name of the specific company.
- Complete address of the specific company.
- The CRD number of the company (if available).
For information about an individual
- Full name (first, middle, last) of the specific individual.
- Complete address of the specific individual.
- The CRD number of the person (if available).